How to design a studio apartment: 80 design ideas
Creating the interior design of a studio apartment is a complex and creative task at the same time. Here you can implement any interesting solutions, experiment with space, zoning and functionality, combine incongruous. At the same time, you need to think through everything to the smallest detail in order to get a really beautiful, convenient and comfortable accommodation. We will help you understand and outline a plan for further action!
Before you engage in design and decoration, prioritize:
- An important question: whether the studio was such initially, or is it a normal modified one-room apartment. This affects the area of space, its configuration, the location of windows.
- Design a room based on its shape. In ordinary rectangular and square studios, classic interiors look interesting. And in the new non-standard layouts with rounded shapes and beveled corners, modern trends play more interesting.
- Be sure to consider how many people will live in the apartment, because the needs of one, couple or family with a child are very different. If you have a baby - first of all, focus on the safety and practicality of design.
- Depending on the lifestyle needs change. Someone needs a living area, someone needs an office, a workshop or a small dressing room in the corner. All this directly affects the design of the apartment.
Studio apartment zoning
To choose a design for a studio apartment, first decide what and what you combine:
- With the help of a small mobile partition you can equip a full-fledged hallway. This is important in our latitudes, because outerwear and shoes take up a lot of space. Ideally, the hallway will fit a large and roomy wardrobe.
- The sleeping area can be equipped on the podium. If you want privacy, fence off it with a curtain or screen. A well-designed multi-tiered design can replace the bed itself, following the example of Japanese futons.
- The podium has another plus: inside you can arrange space for storing things. Or even hide a pull-out bed.
- For the dining area there are comfortable and compact folding tables and folding chairs. Or chairs that fold one into one.
- The kitchen corner can be fenced off with a L-shaped or U-shaped set. The equipment is built into the cabinets as much as possible, and one of the parts of the working surface can be used instead of the working area. Just do not forget about the quality hood!
- Use the windowsill. It can be equipped with a kitchen worktop and a desk. And to protect from the sun, hang Roman curtains or blinds.
- The recreation area is perfectly protected by a soft corner. To emphasize it even more clearly, put a small rug or rug on the floor.
When arranging furniture in the studio, there are two main options:
- Maximize all cabinets, sofas and tables along the walls. So it will be possible to free up space in the center of the apartment. For example, if you need a place for training or meeting guests.
- Use the island layout. This arrangement is suitable for zoned rooms. Highlight separately a soft corner, a berth, a working area, etc.
In a small studio apartment, it is better to abandon table and floor lamps. Like everything else that takes up extra space.
Use multi-level ceiling lighting, compact wall sconces, built-in lighting and LED strip.
Choose chandeliers by the same principle. Small neat plafonds look neater and do not clutter the space visually like classic massive chandeliers with pendants.
Choose an interior style
When arranging a studio apartment, the choice of style is especially acute. The less space - the more important is the unity of design and thoughtfulness of details. You can issue a studio apartment in both classical and modern directions. We offer several options for your reference.
Loft-style studio apartment
The loft has not lost ground among the trends for several years, and in the foreseeable future this is unlikely to change. Decorated in this style, the studio apartments fully reflect its original concept: the alteration of workshops and workspaces into functional residential.
The loft is pretty rough and heavy. It is better for larger studios. It uses dark tones, unprocessed surfaces, open communications. Here, bare concrete and brickwork are appropriate.
To add variety to your design, add some color to it. For example, bright panels of a kitchen set, a mosaic apron above a work surface, colored lamps. If possible, pay attention to the French windows on the floor. They fill the room with light and compensate for the gloom of a deliberately industrial loft.
For flooring and furniture, choose wood with the effect of an untreated or aged surface. You can just cycle the old parquet. If the height of the apartment allows, leave one more key attribute of the loft - ceiling beams. It can be a natural tree or finished gypsum plasterboard designs.
Retro radiators, antique lamps, copper and brass decorative elements look good in the loft. And for partitions and zoning, use functional double-sided racks or cabinets with a mirror surface.
Studio apartment in Scandinavian style
Lightweight, airy and maximally functional, it is at the peak of popularity in the design of studio apartments. There are several reasons for this: the abundance of light colors, comfortable natural materials, practical furniture.
The main gamut is shades of white, beige, cream, pastel colors. Actively used wood and wooden surfaces with a natural texture. Natural flowers and flowerpots add colors.
On the floor in such an apartment - parquet or laminate under a natural tree. It is desirable that it coincides with the shade of large furniture: wardrobe, shelves, countertops. Scandinavian style wallpapers are almost never used. Variegated drawings are also not used. Align the walls and paint them in one color: what could be simpler?
Against a light background, contrasting furniture looks interesting. Dark colors in this form do not make the apartment too gloomy. Scandinavian decorative items - a minimum. These are pictures, photos, cozy textiles. Look for curtains and pillows made of natural fabric with a small geometric or floral ornament.
For zoning studio apartments use light folding screens. They fit perfectly into the Scandinavian and Eastern styles. You can fence off a berth with them.
Minimalism in the interior may look completely different, but it is always characterized by simplicity and conciseness. These are clear forms, a minimum of objects, a maximum of functionality. A good solution for the design of small studio apartments.
Minimalism is light shades. But not necessarily natural. For example, gray variations are in fashion. Simple and not too flashy patterns are also allowed. In the "classic" minimalism is not used more than 5 colors. Among them are several basic and some bright, accent. For example, blue, green, red, yellow, orange.
Do you like bold decisions? Paint one of the walls with bright paint. This immediately sets the mood for the apartment and helps zoning.
Do not get carried away with furniture. Take only the essentials! Avoid decorative shelves, stands, coasters and other trifles. Leave one spacious wardrobe. You can build it into a wall or use it instead of a partition.
In the minimalist interior of a studio apartment, paintings, figurines and other decorative trifles are rarely used. But in all its glory, such an interesting design tool as lighting appears.
Provence is a good choice for those who love decorative interior styles. It is quite elegant and elegant, but at the same time not as artsy and massive as modern or Victorian classics.
Provence is calm pale colors, natural textures, an abundance of textiles, floral motifs. For the design of a studio apartment, use light wooden floors and light carved furniture, all kinds of tablecloths, napkins, tulles, openwork lace.
Stylish and at the same time practical accessory - beautiful porcelain dishes in racks. When not in use, she decorates the room.
Pay attention to the textile partitions: curtains, screens. Ideally, they should be in harmony with pillows, bedspreads, curtains.
High-tech studio apartment
The trendy hi-tech is perfect for modern studio apartments. In concept, it is similar to other minimalist trends, but has its own distinct features.
High-tech is chrome parts, open communications and fittings, glass, plastic, metal. This is a cold urban interior, but without complex bizarre shapes, unlike futurism. Choose furniture to match: metal frames, glass and glossy surfaces or contrasting matte coatings, functional sliding partitions.
Use multi-tiered lighting. Especially good in high-tech decorative lighting niches, cabinets and podiums.
If the Scandinavian style is based on natural materials and colors, then hi-tech is modern artificial materials and a cool, simple color scheme with unusual bright accents: orange, turquoise, raspberry.
Design of a small studio apartment
It’s even more difficult to arrange a small studio apartment. Therefore, we advise you to stick to this plan:
- Be sure to measure all distances to the nearest centimeter so that there are no unnecessary gaps that take up space in vain;
- Before starting work, create a sketch or 3D-visualization to make sure the layout is convenient;
- Get rid of everything superfluous: souvenirs, exercises, extension cords, trash. Feel free to throw out and hide everything that can be thrown out and hidden;
- Choose modular multifunctional designs. They are more expensive and more difficult to install, but significantly save space.
Studio apartment - photo of real interiors
Still can not decide on the final design of the studio apartment? Then we have prepared another selection of photos for you. Look, compare, draw ideas and boldly bring them to life!