Stretch ceilings: 85 beautiful design ideas (photo)
The ceiling in the room is not only about functionality, but also about beauty. Along with the floor and walls, it creates a backdrop for the rest of the interior. But what if the old ceiling is not as perfect as we would like? Exactly for this there exist stretch ceilings, so naturally and harmoniously blended into modern styles!
A bit of history
The first variation on the subject of suspended ceilings can safely be considered antique drapery, which demonstrated the wealth and wealth of its owner.
In medieval Armenia they went further. The fabric was impregnated with chalk and lime. And when it dried, the surface turned out to be even and smooth. So hid the irregularities of the walls. And with the wear and loss of the original appearance, the fabric was simply changed.
Stretch ceilings made of PVC film appeared in the 60s. First, in Sweden, and then throughout Western Europe. After another 20 years, technology was improved in France. Scientists have been able to improve the properties of polyvinyl chloride and revive Swedish innovation. No wonder in many countries stretch ceilings are still called French.
Types of Stretch Ceilings
Between themselves, stretch ceilings differ in material and manufacturing method.
Matte stretch ceilings
The matte surface resembles ordinary whitewashing or painted plaster. Such a ceiling looks simpler and more familiar. It is easier for designers to work with it, because the coating does not give unexpected refractions and reflections. This is a wonderful option for classic interiors.
Glossy stretch ceilings
The glossy stretch ceiling resembles a mirror. In addition to aesthetic benefits, it reflects light and makes the room visually lighter and larger. With mirrored ceilings, it is interesting to experiment with lighting and accents.
Satin Stretch Ceilings
Satin is an intermediate option, a kind of compromise. It has a silky, slightly pearly texture. There are no sharp shadows and spots of light on it.
Photo printing allows you to apply any pattern to the base: from light patterns to paintings and photographs. The main thing is not to overload the room with an excess of complex and large details, so that the interior is not too colorful and lurid.
The fabric is beautiful, decorative and textured. It does not interfere with natural air exchange. Protective polymer or varnish provides moisture resistance. The appearance of such a canvas can be any.
Benefits & Features
Each material and solution has its own strengths as well as weaknesses. Stretch ceilings were no exception. Nevertheless, they managed to supplant the old and more labor-intensive methods of decoration.
- Easy to install. No complicated foundation preparation is needed, and the number of tools is minimal. It is only important to tension the film correctly. There are even seamless canvases up to 5 m wide .;
- Durability. PVC retains its original appearance for years. The coating does not need to be repaired, tinted, updated. Average life - 20 years;
- Dismantling. If necessary, the blade can be easily removed and replaced. This allows you to experiment with interior design and minimize the number of cosmetic repairs;
- Elimination of defects. Stretch ceilings hide irregularities and differences in the base, communications and ventilation. In this they are similar to drywall boxes, only take up less space;
- Tightness. Unlike drywall constructions, stretch ceilings can save from flooding from above. They retain liquid that can be carefully drained;
- Environmentally friendly. PVC film is safe and non-toxic. Such ceilings can be installed even in educational, sports and medical institutions;
- Hygiene. The material is easy to care for, it is washed with an ordinary rag or a special mop. Use soapy water, window cleaners or special detergents.
Disadvantages of Stretch Ceilings
Stretch ceilings in at least one room are found in most homes. At first glance, it is difficult to consider their weaknesses. But still, we recommend that you first analyze them before choosing.
- The cost of suspended ceilings is not always so affordable. It depends on the complexity of the solution, the type of material, the presence and complexity of the drawing, and other features;
- The PVC film is not sensitive to moisture, but it is sensitive to mechanical damage. Therefore, the canvas must be carefully pulled and washed;
- Mounting the tensile structure takes the height of the room. Not as obvious as drywall, but inevitable;
- If you can not find a solid canvas of the right size, you have to take soldered. And in this case, seams remain on the surface;
- PVC film does not breathe well and does not promote air circulation. In fabric coating, this indicator is better. But such ceilings are advisable only in private wooden houses;
- For some time after installation, the smell remains in the room. So you have to wait until it disappears;
- Over time, stretch ceilings may sag. Therefore, we recommend trusting installation only to specialists.
Lighting and ceiling lighting
As in the drywall construction, you can safely integrate spotlights, LED strips and spots into suspended ceilings. There is a restriction only on the power of the lamps so that the film does not overheat.
Do you want a chandelier? Choose models with a wide base or a decorative rosette, they fit snugly and look good. Any shape: circle, square, triangles.
If incandescent or halogen lamps are used in the chandelier, make sure that the distance to the film is at least 10 cm. There are no such strict requirements for LEDs.
Need more power? Then pay attention to lamps with long suspensions. So the heating part will be far from the ceiling and will not spoil it.
Single and multi-level stretch ceilings
The simplest design of suspended ceilings is single-level. The result is an ordinary smooth surface. The film is attached around the perimeter of the room.
Sophisticated multi-level designs allow you to combine different colors, textures, zoning the room and even change the height. For this, drywall or special profiles are used.
Create pendant and curly elements, hide significant defects, experiment with arched shapes and waves.
Ideas for interiors
Depending on the color and texture, stretch ceilings can harmoniously fit into any interior. This is not only fashionable minimalism or hi-tech - they also look harmoniously in classic rooms, oriental and Scandinavian styles, in elaborate modernism or in colorful pop art.
Stretch ceiling in the hallway or hallway
The corridor and the hallway - the first thing that catches your eye in the new house is his calling card. At the same time, often these are small and cramped rooms in which there is a catastrophic lack of lightness and light. Glossy mirror ceilings do an excellent job of this.
Stretch ceiling in the living room
A lounge or living room is the heart of the apartment. Feel free to experiment with unusual creative solutions: photo printing, multi-tiered designs, hidden lighting, color LEDs or luxurious chandeliers.
The large room has bright accents, while the small room has neutral pastel colors. Reflective gloss visually enhances the room. Plasterboard constructions with spotlights around the perimeter of the living room look interesting.
Stretch ceiling in the bedroom
In the bedroom, delicate pastel colors, delicate textures and matte or satin surfaces are especially good. Do you like bold and extravagant decisions? Then pay attention to the glossy finish.
Want some unusual accents? Look at stretch ceilings with a light pattern or even with a starry sky effect. With the help of thoughtful lighting it is easy to create a "real cosmos."
Stretch ceiling in a children's room
Making a nursery is always a holiday, but also a lot of difficulties. Materials that are easy to mount or replace are especially valued. And here again stretch ceilings win.
Remember your child’s favorite cartoon characters, experiment with photo printing. And when the baby is older, upgrade the inexpensive and simple stretch ceiling together.
Stretch ceiling in the kitchen
In workrooms, the strengths of suspended ceilings are fully revealed. For example, in the kitchen, the film almost does not get dirty and is easy to clean, does not absorb odors and does not collect condensate.
To remove stains or grease, a soft sponge and soapy solution are enough. And bright and rich colors of the canvas create a good mood, arouse appetite and add color to the daily routine.
Stretch ceiling in the bathroom
The film is not afraid of moisture and moisture, unlike drywall and most building mixtures. Therefore, the stretch ceiling in the bathroom does not swell and does not deform over time.
The mirror surface will visually enlarge the small bathroom, but splashes and stains remain on it. If you do not want to spend time on this, then choose matte films.
Stretch ceilings - photo
Especially for you, we have prepared a selection with different ideas and ways to install suspended ceilings. Just look at how harmoniously they fit into real "living" interiors!